From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Adding USE=udev to linux profiles
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2018 12:53:52
1 On Fri, Jul 20, 2018 at 8:39 AM <nado@××××××××××.be> wrote:
4 > Why not introducing a new level in the hierarchy ? Something like "common" could be fit.
5 >
6 > default/linux/amd64/13.0
7 > default/linux/amd64/13.0/common
8 > default/linux/amd64/13.0/common/desktop
9 > default/linux/amd64/13.0/common/developer
10 > ...
11 >
12 > By doing so we could still have a bare profiles with minimal things set to work, and have the
13 > common subset with sane defaults for most users.
14
15 I think one of the issues is that our docs/defaults and the mentality
16 of our users tends to drive them to what looks like the most basic
17 starting point.
18
19 I think that having a base profile intended just as an inheritance
20 point for other profiles makes sense technically, but it may not
21 actually be a good default for end-users.
22
23 If you set up the example above, how many would would still pick 13.0
24 as their starting point, and not common?
25
26 Now, there is nothing that says that inheritance has to follow the
27 directory tree. We could have a
28 default/linux/amd64/13.0/donotuse/core profile that everything
29 inherits, and make that the minimal one. It just means that most
30 profiles under 13.0 wouldn't inherit 13.0.
31
32 To some degree we may have painted ourselves into a bit of a corner by
33 presenting this as a heirarchy, as it tends to force the bottom of the
34 heirarchy to be the best profile for inheritance, when it is also the
35 first thing users see as well.
38 Rich