From: nado@××××××××××.be
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Adding USE=udev to linux profiles
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2018 12:38:03
1 Hi,
2
3 July 20, 2018 2:26 PM, "Ben Kohler" <bkohler@g.o> wrote:
4
5 > On 07/19/18 23:04, Michael Orlitzky wrote:
6 >
7 >> <snip>
8 >>
9 >> If you really want to enable it globally after being told that it's bad
10 >> engineering and downright annoying, go do it in a profile that I can
11 >> avoid and not "linux".
12 >
13 > I believe you're arguing against profile global USE in general, can you
14 > start a new thread for that if you believe it's worth discussing?
15 >
16 > We do have global USE in profiles now and I believe that the sane
17 > default for linux profiles is to have udev support globally.
18
19 Why not introducing a new level in the hierarchy ? Something like "common" could be fit.
20
21 default/linux/amd64/13.0
22 default/linux/amd64/13.0/common
23 default/linux/amd64/13.0/common/desktop
24 default/linux/amd64/13.0/common/developer
25 ...
26
27 By doing so we could still have a bare profiles with minimal things set to work, and have the
28 common subset with sane defaults for most users.
31 Corentin “Nado” Pazdera