From: Ben Kohler <bkohler@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Adding USE=udev to linux profiles
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2018 12:25:26
1 On 07/19/18 23:04, Michael Orlitzky wrote:
4 > No I'm not. I'm saying add them per-package, because it's a better
5 > design. We have package.use in profiles now, not just IUSE defaults.
6 >
7 > Global defaults have problems:
8 >
9 > * They can't be undone. It's next to impossible for me to undo
10 > USE=udev when set in a profile that is inherited by all others.
11 >
12 > * USE=udev means different things for different packages. You think it
13 > "makes udev work" or whatever, but nobody has any idea what it does
14 > for half of the packages that use it. The meaning is package-
15 > specific, so the default should be package-specific.
16 >
17 > * They're easy to set, but hard do unset when you realize you were
18 > wrong a year from now.
19 >
20 > If you really want to enable it globally after being told that it's bad
21 > engineering and downright annoying, go do it in a profile that I can
22 > avoid and not "linux".
25 I believe you're arguing against profile global USE in general, can you
26 start a new thread for that if you believe it's worth discussing?
27
28 We do have global USE in profiles now and I believe that the sane
29 default for linux profiles is to have udev support globally.
30
31 -Ben

pEpkey.asc application/pgp-keys