From: Michael Orlitzky <mjo@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Adding USE=udev to linux profiles
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2018 04:04:32
1 On 07/19/2018 11:49 PM, Aaron Bauman wrote:
2 > You are denying the majority default here. Granted, we don't have
3 > statistics... Cuz Gentoo.
4
5 No I'm not. I'm saying add them per-package, because it's a better
6 design. We have package.use in profiles now, not just IUSE defaults.
7
8 Global defaults have problems:
9
10 * They can't be undone. It's next to impossible for me to undo
11 USE=udev when set in a profile that is inherited by all others.
12
13 * USE=udev means different things for different packages. You think it
14 "makes udev work" or whatever, but nobody has any idea what it does
15 for half of the packages that use it. The meaning is package-
16 specific, so the default should be package-specific.
17
18 * They're easy to set, but hard do unset when you realize you were
19 wrong a year from now.
20
21 If you really want to enable it globally after being told that it's bad
22 engineering and downright annoying, go do it in a profile that I can
23 avoid and not "linux".