From: Mart Raudsepp <leio@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Adding USE=udev to linux profiles
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2018 05:06:58
1 Ühel kenal päeval, R, 20.07.2018 kell 00:04, kirjutas Michael Orlitzky:
2 > On 07/19/2018 11:49 PM, Aaron Bauman wrote:
3 > > You are denying the majority default here. Granted, we don't have
4 > > statistics... Cuz Gentoo.
5 >
6 > No I'm not. I'm saying add them per-package, because it's a better
7 > design. We have package.use in profiles now, not just IUSE defaults.
8 >
9 > Global defaults have problems:
10 >
11 > * They can't be undone. It's next to impossible for me to undo
12 > USE=udev when set in a profile that is inherited by all others.
13
14 You set USE=-udev in your make.conf. Or in a profile that really needs
15 this disabled.
16 If as a package maintainer that's not appropriate for a package, then
17 that sounds like USE=udev is not appropriate for your package.
18 Got any concrete samples in that case?
19
20 > * USE=udev means different things for different packages. You think
21 > it
22 > "makes udev work" or whatever, but nobody has any idea what it
23 > does
24 > for half of the packages that use it. The meaning is package-
25 > specific, so the default should be package-specific.
26
27 It makes hardware work without static configurations, including when
28 hotplugged. It should be enable by default for all Linux users.
29 People who make a conscious choice to deal with this by hand can easily
30 set USE=-udev in their make.conf and deal with this by hand afterwards.
31
32 The default shouldn't be "nothing works, until you make it work".
33
34 > * They're easy to set, but hard do unset when you realize you were
35 > wrong a year from now.
36 >
37 > If you really want to enable it globally after being told that it's
38 > bad
39 > engineering and downright annoying, go do it in a profile that I can
40 > avoid and not "linux".
41
42 Don't believe everything you're told.
43 If you still buy into all the trouble you are getting into by stopping
44 to rely on udev, you disable it in make.conf and use --changed-use for
45 emerge.
48 Mart