From: Michael Orlitzky <mjo@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Adding USE=udev to linux profiles
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2018 05:58:39
1 On 07/20/2018 01:06 AM, Mart Raudsepp wrote:
2 >>
3 >> * They can't be undone. It's next to impossible for me to undo
4 >> USE=udev when set in a profile that is inherited by all others.
5 >
6 > You set USE=-udev in your make.conf.
7
8 That doesn't work, for reasons already stated.
9
10 If I set USE="-udev" in my make.conf, I don't get the same behavior that
11 I would if you left the default alone. Specifically, setting USE="-udev"
12 in make.conf will disable udev support in all packages that have
13 IUSE="+udev", whereas now they are built WITH udev support. This causes
14 severe breakage in some cases, and there's no way for me (or anyone
15 else) to regain the existing behavior once you turn the flag on by default.
18 > Or in a profile that really needs this disabled.
19
20 Yeah I'd love to except that you're proposing we add it to the "linux"
21 profile, and it can't be overridden in a sub-profile for the same reason
22 it can't be overridden in make.conf.