From: Mart Raudsepp <leio@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Adding USE=udev to linux profiles
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2018 06:12:54
1 Ühel kenal päeval, R, 20.07.2018 kell 01:58, kirjutas Michael Orlitzky:
2 > On 07/20/2018 01:06 AM, Mart Raudsepp wrote:
3 > > >
4 > > > * They can't be undone. It's next to impossible for me to undo
5 > > > USE=udev when set in a profile that is inherited by all
6 > > > others.
7 > >
8 > > You set USE=-udev in your make.conf.
9 >
10 > That doesn't work, for reasons already stated.
11 >
12 > If I set USE="-udev" in my make.conf, I don't get the same behavior
13 > that
14 > I would if you left the default alone. Specifically, setting USE="-
15 > udev"
16 > in make.conf will disable udev support in all packages that have
17 > IUSE="+udev", whereas now they are built WITH udev support. This
18 > causes
19 > severe breakage in some cases, and there's no way for me (or anyone
20 > else) to regain the existing behavior once you turn the flag on by
21 > default.
24 > > Or in a profile that really needs this disabled.
25 >
26 > Yeah I'd love to except that you're proposing we add it to the
27 > "linux"
28 > profile, and it can't be overridden in a sub-profile for the same
29 > reason
30 > it can't be overridden in make.conf.
31
32 Ok, I can see that point of view for make.conf.
33 I can't agree with changes in other profiles though, as other profile
34 will fall under the same category in USE_ORDER (in fact, it's the same
35 thing, as the end USE from "defaults" comes from your selected profile
36 and it's "parent" cascade, not taken from linux profile). But maybe you
37 have it tested and know it's a problem. Have you?
38
39 For the IUSE defaults vs make.conf (and other per-system override
40 places) problem, we should really do something about it, it keeps
41 coming up as an issue.