From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Adding USE=udev to linux profiles
Date: Fri, 20 Jul 2018 11:56:13
1 On Fri, Jul 20, 2018 at 1:58 AM Michael Orlitzky <mjo@g.o> wrote:
2 >
3 > On 07/20/2018 01:06 AM, Mart Raudsepp wrote:
4 > >>
5 > >> * They can't be undone. It's next to impossible for me to undo
6 > >> USE=udev when set in a profile that is inherited by all others.
7 > >
8 > > You set USE=-udev in your make.conf.
9 >
10 > That doesn't work, for reasons already stated.
11 >
12 > If I set USE="-udev" in my make.conf, ... This causes
13 > severe breakage in some cases, and there's no way for me (or anyone
14 > else) to regain the existing behavior once you turn the flag on by default.
15
16 While I agree that setting USE=-udev isn't the same as leaving it to
17 package defaults, you further claim that setting this globally causes
18 severe breakage in some cases. Can you provide an example of this?
19
20 If you aren't actually using udev I don't see how setting USE=-udev is
21 more likely to cause problems than setting it or having it set by
22 default.
23
24 If a package simply doesn't work with USE=-udev at all then the
25 package shouldn't even allow this to be set. If the breakage is
26 limited to a particular arch/etc then this should be dealt with at the
27 specific profile level or in the ebuild logic.
30 Rich