From: James Broadhead <jamesbroadhead@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Let's redesign the entire filesystem! [was newsitem: unmasking udev-181]
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2012 11:55:28
1 On 13 March 2012 01:22, Joshua Kinard <kumba@g.o> wrote:
2 > We should be working to getting rid of /usr and bring it all back into /,
3 > then create temporary /usr symlinks to point programs in the right
4 > direction.  After all, /usr was originally for user data, not system data,
5 > until someone cooked up /home (I don't know the full exact history here, so
6 > feel free to correct me).
9 I believe that the Art of Unix Programming* says that /usr was the
10 result of the original UNIX 4MB hard disk becoming full, and that they
11 chose /usr to mount a second one. Every definition since then has been
12 an attempt to justify preserving the split.
15 * On reflection, I may have read this elsewhere.