From: Pacho Ramos <pacho@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: lxnay@g.o, williamh <williamh@g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: eselect init
Date: Sat, 22 Jun 2013 10:07:40
1 After talking with WilliamH yesterday, I have this opinion:
2 - Playing with /sbin/init (instead of /sbin/einit) has two interesting
3 advantages:
4 1. For example, I now have init=/sbin/e4rat-preload in my grub.conf, if
5 I do a typo, it would fallback to /sbin/init. If /sbin/init is provided
6 by sysvinit, people running other init providers could have problems.
7 This wouldn't occur if /sbin/init has been changed to use desired init
8 system.
9 2. Tools like e4rat or bootchart launch /sbin/init, if I switch to
10 systemd, I would need to edit separate configuration files for each tool
11 to point to new init. This wouldn't occur if we "play" with /sbin/init
12 => we would only change init in one place
13
14 - I have two doubts:
15 1. Why do we need a wrapper instead of changing symlinks?
16 2. Why Fabio chose to move sysvinit to subdirectories... wouldn't be
17 much simpler to simply rename /sbin/init to /sbin/sysvinit?