From: Duncan <1i5t5.duncan@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: eselect init
Date: Sat, 22 Jun 2013 07:00:25
1 Pacho Ramos posted on Fri, 21 Jun 2013 17:48:59 +0200 as excerpted:
2
3 > El vie, 21-06-2013 a las 09:36 -0500, William Hubbs escribió:
4 > [...]
5 >> No, he has his own versions of the systemd and sysvinit ebuilds which
6 >> move some of the installation to non-standard places as part of this
7 >> machinery, so it is not opt-in.
8 >>
9 >> Also, there was an email on this thread showing that using
10 >> init=/sbin/einit works, so I'm not seeing what mgorny's objections are.
11 >>
12 >> William
13 >
14 > I think mgorny was referring to a case where einit fails to work and,
15 > then, kernel will fallback to using /sbin/init, that could cause
16 > problems as it would always run /sbin/init from sysvinit... but maybe he
17 > was referring to something else :|
18
19 This is my understanding as well. If there's a problem with /sbin/einit,
20 the kernel will fallback to /sbin/init. If /sbin/init runs a sysv init
21 that's setup for an old, no longer sysadmin maintained openrc (or
22 whatever other) setup, there's little telling what sort of unpredictable
23 things that openrc config from three years ago might end up doing to a
24 painstakingly configured systemd (or runit, or...) current config.
25
26 That's the worry, and as an admin, I'd be worried about it myself, but in
27 practice, I'm not sure it's particularly valid, simply because in the
28 real world, the failures are more likely to be full service breakage,
29 etc, than they are to be anything really destructive.
30
31 The caveat, and this one's big enough to give an admin ulcers for sure,
32 is if the machine is a server, and that old no-longer-maintained openrc
33 config starts up say a no-longer-maintained sshd instance with a poor
34 password that has long since been forgotten about, thus exposing the
35 machine to any cracker taking a probe. However unlikely that is (such an
36 unmaintained sshd config should have long since been removed on any
37 responsibly administered gentoo system), just the possibility is enough
38 to give a responsible admin ulcers worrying about it, because even
39 responsible sysadmins fat-finger things, or simply forget about them,
40 once in awhile. THAT's our REAL weakness, and we know it all too well!
45 and if you use the program, he is your master." Richard Stallman