From: Jason Rhinelander <jason@××××××××××××××××.com>
To: Grant Goodyear <g2boojum@g.o>
Cc: net-mail@g.o, gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] mailwrapper
Date: Mon, 08 Mar 2004 20:37:44
1 Isn't this basically just adding bloat to 'system'? This only really
2 seems to be relevant when you want multiple MTA's installed at once,
3 with the ability to choose between them, since most MTA's already
4 provide /usr/sbin/sendmail if they have a sendmail compatibility wrapper
5 at all.
6
7 Since most users don't need or have multiple MTA's installed at once,
8 what is the rational of adding this to 'system'?
9
10 -- Jason Rhinelander
11 -- Gossamer Threads, Inc.
14 Grant Goodyear wrote:
15 > Dear all,
16 > Today I added *BSD's mailwrapper program to Portage (after doing a bit
17 > of porting so that it works on linux). You can find a readable
18 > description of this program at
19 > http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/mail-changingmta.html#AEN30548
20 > (although I've changed the defaults to be more Gentoo-friendly).
21 > Ideally, I would like to have mailwrapper installed by default, with
22 > each MTA installing a mailer.conf.MTA file. If the system did not
23 > already have a mailer.conf file, then the first MTA to be installed
24 > would also create an /etc/mailer.conf symlink that pointed to its
25 > mailer.conf.MTA file. Comments/complaints?
26 >
27 > Thanks,
28 > g2boojum
31 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list