From: Mike Frysinger <vapier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] use.defaults ( auto-use )
Date: Mon, 07 Nov 2005 15:30:34
1 On Mon, Nov 07, 2005 at 10:08:45AM -0500, Alec Warner wrote:
2 > Mike Frysinger wrote:
3 > > On Mon, Nov 07, 2005 at 02:05:37AM -0500, Alec Warner wrote:
4 > >
5 > >>Could we by chance, mandate some sort of comment field in that file not
6 > >>unlike package.mask?
9 > > what really needs explanation ? i mean, why do you need a comment for say:
10 > > aalib media-libs/aalib
11 > > canna app-i18n/canna
12 > > and every package in there is the same way
13 >
14 > Because I want to know WHY this flag is required to be in use.defaults
15 > vs a normal flag? Because maybe flags were added in the past to cover
16 > situation X and now that situation is fixed another way and we can pull
17 > the flag out of use.defaults
18
19 i think you're confusing use.defaults with the USE in profile make.defaults
20
21 use.defaults is there to simply automatically enable USE flags if a package is
22 installled, nothing more and nothing less
23
24 > >>I'm also a bit worried that things were placed in there a while ago and
25 > >>are no longer needed, may also be a good idea to date the entries.
28 > > like what ? dating is pointless imo, use `cvs ann` :P
29 >
30 > Right..cvs ann...how do I do that from viewCVS again? :)
31
32 well, if i had to guess, i'd say try clicking the link that says '(annotate)'
33
34 > In the end I just wonder at the use of these things. They are both
35 > helpful and bad.
36
37 if you want to start a thread about punting use.defaults, then do it ...
38 trying to slowly bleed the file of entries is dumb
39 -mike
40 --
41 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list