From: Alec Warner <warnera6@×××××××.edu>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] use.defaults ( auto-use )
Date: Mon, 07 Nov 2005 15:11:12
2 Hash: SHA1
3
4 Mike Frysinger wrote:
5 > On Mon, Nov 07, 2005 at 02:05:37AM -0500, Alec Warner wrote:
6 >
7 >>Could we by chance, mandate some sort of comment field in that file not
8 >>unlike package.mask?
11 > what really needs explanation ? i mean, why do you need a comment for say:
12 > aalib media-libs/aalib
13 > canna app-i18n/canna
14 > and every package in there is the same way
17 Because I want to know WHY this flag is required to be in use.defaults
18 vs a normal flag? Because maybe flags were added in the past to cover
19 situation X and now that situation is fixed another way and we can pull
20 the flag out of use.defaults.
21
22 >>I'm also a bit worried that things were placed in there a while ago and
23 >>are no longer needed, may also be a good idea to date the entries.
26 > like what ? dating is pointless imo, use `cvs ann` :P
27 > -mike
28
29 Right..cvs ann...how do I do that from viewCVS again? :)
30
31 In the end I just wonder at the use of these things. They are both
32 helpful and bad. Fex, canna is in there, probably to tell the system
33 that I have canna installed. However, I don't think auto-use should be
34 for that purpose. If I want to tell portage that I have canna installed
35 and applications should add canna support, I should set USE=canna.
36 Yeah, I may have to recompile some stuff b/c I forgot to set it prior,
37 but IMHO thats my fault, not the build-systems.
38
39 Mostly this cropped up from me installing sqlite, for supybot, which
40 needs sqlite for it's karma storage. Fine by me. Then I go to install
41 php and find it wants to pull in some fandangled php->sqlite deal and I
42 go wtf, I don't have that set...ohhh use.defaults... Why the hell is
43 sqlite in use.defaults?!? That kind of deal. There are a lot of odd
44 situations where I think use.defaults is useful ( although there are
45 times where i wish people would just add to make.defaults in profile so
46 I can nuke it there ). I'd just like to know why the flag is being
47 forced on. The same reason why I want to know why a package is p.masked.
48
49 Alec Warner (Antarus)
68 --
69 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list