From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaranm@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Unofficial Gentoo Development Guide and Autotools
Date: Fri, 20 May 2005 06:22:30
1 On Fri, 20 May 2005 15:06:12 +0900 Georgi Georgiev <chutz@×××.net>
2 wrote:
3 | - The configure script is run to produce one or Makefile files
4 | from Makefile.in files.
5 | + The configure script is run to produce
6 | one or more Makefile files from Makefile.in files.
7
8 Gah! I'm sure I'd already fixed that one...
9
10 | The phrase "when an option is specified" is a bit ambiguous,
11 | especially since it is later referred by the explanation of
12 | AC_ARG_WITH. I was not sure if "option" in this case means "option" as
13 | in "--enable-foo=OPTION". I was confused, because one paragarph before
14 | the example you talk about "--enable-foo and --disable-foo *switches*
15 | to ./configure".
16
17 .. Important:: The third argument is used when a ``--enable`` or
18 ``--disable`` switch to ``./configure`` is provided, and the fourth
19 is used when such a switch is *not* passed. A common misconception is
20 that the third is enable and the fourth is disable -- this is **not**
21 the case. You may encounter packages that get this wrong.
22
23 Does that sound any better?
24
25 | - coloring
26 |
27 | %.1 : %.in
28 | @regex_cmd@ -e "s,\@VERSION\@,$(VERSION),g" $? > $@
29 |
30 | The first "@" is span.Special and the second one is span.Constant.
31
32 Hrm, that's a vim thing (I'm using a vim script to do the highlighting
33 at compile time, it's not manual). If someone enjoys pain they could
34 have a go at making vim's automake highlighting smarter... Don't think
35 I'm brave enough to touch that one myself.
36
37 Thanks,
38 --
39 Ciaran McCreesh : Gentoo Developer (Vim, Shell tools, Fluxbox, Cron)
40 Mail : ciaranm at gentoo.org
41 Web : http://dev.gentoo.org/~ciaranm