From: Georgi Georgiev <chutz@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Unofficial Gentoo Development Guide and Autotools
Date: Fri, 20 May 2005 06:06:13
1 maillog: 20/05/2005-06:06:21(+0100): Ciaran McCreesh types
2 > On Thu, 19 May 2005 04:44:25 +0100 Ciaran McCreesh <ciaranm@g.o>
3 > wrote:
4 > | http://www.firedrop.org.uk/devmanual/general-concepts/autotools/
5 >
6 > Updated based upon the feedback, thanks guys. If someone who's
7 > relatively clueless about autotools could give it a read and let me know
8 > what is and isn't clear I'd appreciate it.
9
10 That would be me.
11
12 Notes:
13
14 - typo?
15 - The configure script is run to produce one or Makefile files from Makefile.in files.
16 + The configure script is run to produce one or more Makefile files from Makefile.in files.
17
18 - clarification
19
20 AC_MSG_CHECKING(--enable-cscope argument)
21 AC_ARG_ENABLE(cscope,
22 [ --enable-cscope Include cscope interface.],
23 [enable_cscope=$enableval],
24 [enable_cscope="no"])
25 AC_MSG_RESULT($enable_cscope)
26 if test "$enable_cscope" = "yes"; then
27 AC_DEFINE(FEAT_CSCOPE)
28 fi
29
30 <1 paragraph skipped>
31
32 Important: The third argument is used when an option is
33 specified, and the fourth is used when an option is not
34 specified. A common misconception is that the third is enable
35 and the fourth is disable — this is not the case. You may
36 encounter packages that get this wrong.
37
38 The phrase "when an option is specified" is a bit ambiguous, especially
39 since it is later referred by the explanation of AC_ARG_WITH. I was not
40 sure if "option" in this case means "option" as in
41 "--enable-foo=OPTION". I was confused, because one paragarph before the
42 example you talk about "--enable-foo and --disable-foo *switches* to
43 ./configure".
44
45 Maybe the above can be written as: ‟The third argument is used when
46 either "--enable" or "--disable" is specified, and the fourth is used
47 when neither is specified.” Or you could simply stick to using
48 "switches" instead of "options"?
49
50 - coloring
51
52 %.1 : %.in
53 @regex_cmd@ -e "s,\@VERSION\@,$(VERSION),g" $? > $@
54
55 The first "@" is span.Special and the second one is span.Constant.
56
57 Good job by the way.
60 () Georgi Georgiev () There is only one thing in the world worse ()
61 () chutz@×××.net () than being talked about, and that is not ()
62 () +81(90)2877-8845 () being talked about. -- Oscar Wilde ()