From: Georgi Georgiev <chutz@×××.net>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Summary: Install CD Bloat thread
Date: Sun, 24 Aug 2003 23:37:17
1 On 24/08/2003 at 22:09:12(+0100), Stuart Herbert used 6.6K just to say:
2 > > Another culprit for the increase was the inclusion of Perl 5. No one
3 > > could figure out a good reason for it to be on there.
4 >
5 > pptpclient requires it.
6 >
7 > There are a number of packages that pull in Perl 5 during the process of
8 > creating the CD image, but pptpclient is the only package that survives
9 > through to the actual CD image that genuinely needs Perl 5. See the
10 > attachment for all the gory details.
11 >
12 > The only way to leave Perl 5 off the CD is to drop pptpclient. I couldn't
13 > find any alternative on Freshmeat, and I suspect that many people who install
14 > Gentoo Linux have ISPs who use PPTP.
15
16 Well, there is always perlcc. One could make a huge, perlcc-compiled and
17 statically linked pptpclient for the LiveCD I guess. Or it doesn't have to be
18 static, keeping the necessary libs could be enough.
21 () Georgi Georgiev () The absent ones are always at fault. ()
22 () chutz@×××.net () ()
23 () +81(90)6266-1163 () ()