From: Jeroen Roovers <jer@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Suggestion about how to tell ATs that a package can be stabilized on all arches at the same time
Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2015 08:23:02
1 On Sun, 08 Feb 2015 11:17:19 +0100
2 Pacho Ramos <pacho@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > Many times has raised the question about how we could handle those
5 > packages (like icon packs, wallpapers...) that are not arch dependent
6 > and, then, could be stabilized all at the same time by the first arch
7 > team that is going to stabilize it.
8
9 If you do that, then what is the point of having a stable request in
10 the first place? The many-eyeballs argument is gone then, so what are we
11 left with?
12
13 It isn't a team that is doing the stabilisation, it's a single person
14 who may or may not have looked at what the new version does and how
15 well it installs, and may or may not feel some pressure to rush it.
16
17 As I said before many times, having more people on more architecture
18 teams look at the same problem actually helps catch bug at a late
19 stage but arguably still in time. Removing or weakening that last line
20 of defence (either by having a single person do stabilisations for
21 multiple architectures, or by removing most architecture teams from each
22 single task) will increase the bug rate for stable ebuilds (even more).
25 jer