From: Alexis Ballier <aballier@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Cc: "Diego Elio Pettenò" <flameeyes@×××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] On hosting self-produced distfiles
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2011 21:43:11
1 On Wednesday, January 19, 2011 09:50:35 pm Diego Elio Pettenò wrote:
2 > Hi all,
3 >
4 > I just wanted to write here a clarification regarding self-produced
5 > distfiles, such as patchset tarballs, SCM snapshots and the like. Some
6 > people seem under the impression that the correct way to host these is
7 > to use mirror://gentoo/ and copy them on /space/distfiles-local on
8 > dev.g.o. Please don't do this.
9 >
10 > If you produced the file yourself, and it doesn't matter if the file is
11 > reproducible (unless it is reproducible to sha512 identity), please use
12 > the public_html directory in your dev.gentoo.org home to host these.
13 > This makes sure that the file won't be deleted from all its sources if
14 > the ebuild is removed (or more likely replaced) from tree. Ask the Emacs
15 > team how "easy" has been to recover gentoo-syntax files before.
18 Solution b): update the distfiles-local mirroring script to store a copy where
19 it wont be deleted...
20 The interim solution is the current one with the files being deleted when not
21 used in the tree.
22
23 I'm sorry but your solution doesn't really seem well thought. I'm used and
24 like to use $P and alikes, sometimes with versionator, in SRC_URI for not
25 having to modify this part when bumping a package. Your solution more or less
26 annihilates this in the case it's bumped by different developers. IIRC at least
27 one of {devmanual, policy, quizzes} mandates to have such scalable SRC_URI's.
28
29 A.