From: "Diego Elio Pettenò" <flameeyes@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] On hosting self-produced distfiles
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2011 00:51:27
1 Hi all,
2
3 I just wanted to write here a clarification regarding self-produced
4 distfiles, such as patchset tarballs, SCM snapshots and the like. Some
5 people seem under the impression that the correct way to host these is
6 to use mirror://gentoo/ and copy them on /space/distfiles-local on
7 dev.g.o. Please don't do this.
8
9 If you produced the file yourself, and it doesn't matter if the file is
10 reproducible (unless it is reproducible to sha512 identity), please use
11 the public_html directory in your dev.gentoo.org home to host these.
12 This makes sure that the file won't be deleted from all its sources if
13 the ebuild is removed (or more likely replaced) from tree. Ask the Emacs
14 team how "easy" has been to recover gentoo-syntax files before.
15
16 Yes, we all know that the history with the Infra team has been against
17 this idea, but until there is a proper replacement for this handling,
18 the Gentoo sources archive, we really shouldn't be putting the data in
19 non-permanent locations, the team should, nowadays, be on the same page
20 as me on this.
21
22 Pushing files that are still available somewhere else, but cannot be
23 directly fetched for whatever reason is still to be bone
24 through /space/distfiles-local.
25
26 *PLEASE NOTE:* This is to be considered QA policy, so we're going to ask
27 soon to enforce this. This requirement, though, _will_ be superseded as
28 soon as Infra provides us with a proper archive for this kind of files.
29
30 Thank you,
31 --
32 Diego Elio Pettenò — Flameeyes