From: William Hubbs <williamh@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] On hosting self-produced distfiles
Date: Sat, 22 Jan 2011 16:21:33
1 Hi Diego,
2
3 I need a clarification on something.
4
5 On Thu, Jan 20, 2011 at 01:50:35AM +0100, Diego Elio Petten? wrote:
6 > If you produced the file yourself, and it doesn't matter if the file is
7 > reproducible (unless it is reproducible to sha512 identity), please use
8 > the public_html directory in your dev.gentoo.org home to host these.
9 > This makes sure that the file won't be deleted from all its sources if
10 > the ebuild is removed (or more likely replaced) from tree. Ask the Emacs
11 > team how "easy" has been to recover gentoo-syntax files before.
12
13 What is your feeling about projects that use tags in their source
14 repositories and have a way to build the tarball directly from the
15 repository?
16
17 e.g. for openrc, if you have a clone of the repository you can do:
18
19 git checkout [tag]
20 make dist
21
22 and you will have the same tarball that we released.
23
24 What about things hosted on github? I am upstream for some code hosted
25 there and they prefer that you do not upload source tarballs, but use
26 tags in your repository which will automatically be propegated to your
27 downloads page.
28
29 Your input would be appreciated.
30