From: Jeremy Olexa <darkside@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] On hosting self-produced distfiles
Date: Fri, 21 Jan 2011 23:46:05
1 On Thu, 20 Jan 2011 01:50:35 +0100, Diego Elio Pettenò wrote:
2 > <snip>
3 > Pushing files that are still available somewhere else, but cannot be
4 > directly fetched for whatever reason is still to be bone
5 > through /space/distfiles-local.
6
7 This, above, is an important point for the below comment.
8
9 > *PLEASE NOTE:* This is to be considered QA policy, so we're going to
10 > ask
11 > soon to enforce this. This requirement, though, _will_ be superseded
12 > as
13 > soon as Infra provides us with a proper archive for this kind of
14 > files.
15
16 I wonder how the QA team is going to enforce this? I can't think of any
17 heuristics to distinguish between mirror://gentoo/<self-produced
18 distfile> and mirror://gentoo/<upstream distfile not self-produced> -
19 One way this can happen is dead upstream but useful application. Yes, we
20 have GENTOO_MIRRORS but I've seen it often enough that GENTOO_MIRRORS
21 value is invalid (user error) and SRC_URI is invalid which leads to a
22 non-ideal user experience - at which point $dev normally changes SRC_URI
23 to mirror://gentoo/.
24
25 Care to touch on that topic? Note: An acceptable answer to me would be
26 "update documentation and use common sense" because I don't think there
27 is any other option. At risk of being too wordy, I'll leave it at that.
28
29 Thanks,
30 Jeremy