From: Matti Bickel <mabi@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] On hosting self-produced distfiles
Date: Thu, 20 Jan 2011 18:42:15
1 On 01/20/2011 01:50 AM, Diego Elio Pettenò wrote:
2 > I just wanted to write here a clarification regarding self-produced
3 > distfiles, such as patchset tarballs, SCM snapshots and the like. Some
4 > people seem under the impression that the correct way to host these is
5 > to use mirror://gentoo/ and copy them on /space/distfiles-local on
6 > dev.g.o. Please don't do this.
7
8 As one of those under the impression that mirror://gentoo was the right
9 choice: why is it bad?
10
11 From Fauli's post I gather the emacs team wanted to support ancient
12 versions and have all files necessary to install an ebuild whatsoever
13 it's age.
14 In my case, that would mean installing php-4.0, for example. Why on
15 earth should I support something like that? If I'm PHP upstream, okay,
16 maybe allow others to see the evolution of the language. But the
17 evolution of the php patchset? Sounds not that necessary to me.
18
19 So, I'm not opposed to your idea. If ya want to archive your stuff
20 forever, by all means do it. I just see no point in forcing this on all
21 devs. So, care to explain or give me pointer on why this is necessary?
22
23 Thanks, Matti