From: Wernfried Haas <amne@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Paludis and Profiles
Date: Tue, 16 May 2006 19:24:49
1 This is not only about adding a profile, but if paludis is officially
2 supported by being in the tree and profiles, fixes for paludis get
3 into the tree etc, this sounds like paludis is a Gentoo project and users
4 will expect it to work and be supported. They will be allowed to ask
5 questions about something not working with paludis on the forums,
6 mailing lists, on irc etc without being off-topic.
7 So far and with respect to other distributions (like e.g. Vida,
8 Kororaa or whatever they were called) a rule of thumb was:
9 A Gentoo system uses the official portage tree, was installed using
10 the Gentoo installation guide using Gentoo stages, etc - and which was
11 rather implicit - using portage as package manager. As far i
12 understand it paludis differs from that in many ways.
13 So before the package manager gets optional and we support something
14 quite different we really should figure out what we consider a Gentoo
15 installation.
16
17 cheers,
18 Wernfried
21 Wernfried Haas (amne) - amne at gentoo dot org
22 Gentoo Forums: http://forums.gentoo.org
23 IRC: #gentoo-forums on freenode - email: forum-mods at gentoo dot org