From: James Vandenberg <james@××××××××××××××××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo installed, thoughts
Date: Mon, 13 May 2002 03:18:39
1 This is what Thilo Bangert at Mon, May 13, 2002 at 09:30:59AM +0200 wrote:
2 > its actually quite simply: don't use inetd!
3
4 Fair enough. But who should decide which inetd replacement should be used?
5
6 > i know, you meant this to be an example - but things are not meant to be
7 > simple in gentoo linux. we want users to learn the tools they use - and
8 > not force upon them some distribution specific way of doing things
9
10 It wouldn't be forced on to the user. If it detects that the destination has
11 been modified by someone else, then it wouldn't do anything. I'd also see it as
12 more of an advisory tool, creating a list of instructions to complete the
13 installation, such as "Add the following line to inet.conf", or "Add this to
14 xinetd.conf", and have that advice be the most appropriate for the user's
15 setup.
16
17 This is more about decoupling the maintainer's assumptions from the user's
18 choices. With the system in place, a package would have a single interface to
19 the variants of the packages it depends on, so the user can install whatever
20 they like, and there's less if/thens in the .ebuild.
21
22 When a new variant is added, there doesn't need to be a single thing changed in
23 the ebuild. Or, when a program's configuration syntax changes radically, it
24 doesn't break things that depend on it.
25
26 > thats one of the reasons gentoo is so great in the first place...
27
28 Giving the user control is always good, in my book.
29
30 James,
31 --
32 James Vandenberg Email: james at vandenberg.dropbear.id.au
33 GPG FP= 65AB 179A D884 EDC6 216D FE6A 6833 02BC 4425 4F70
34 Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur. ICQ: 151135390