From: Thilo Bangert <bangert@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo installed, thoughts
Date: Mon, 13 May 2002 02:49:41
1 On Monday 13 May 2002 05:50, James Vandenberg wrote:
2 > This is what Luke at Mon, May 13, 2002 at 11:53:42AM +1000 wrote:
3 > > Youve spent a lot of time thinking about the details of your
4 > > system, without answering one simple question.
5 > >
6 > > Why is this needed?
7 >
8 > For one very simple reason. It makes life easier for system
9 > administrators, users, and maintainers.
10 >
11 > An example is with Inetd/Xinetd. These two programs have the same
12 > function, but wildly different configuration file formats. Now how
13 > should the telnet daemon be installed? Should it give an example of
14 > how it should be installed in inetd syntax, or xinetd syntax? So if
15 > it tells me how to install telnet into inetd, but I'm running xinetd,
16 > it doesn't help me as much as if it were in xinetd syntax.
19 its actually quite simply: don't use inetd!
20
21 i know, you meant this to be an example - but things are not meant to be
22 simple in gentoo linux. we want users to learn the tools they use - and
23 not force upon them some distribution specific way of doing things
24
25 thats one of the reasons gentoo is so great in the first place...
26
27 yes, you still may find examples of this - but it is only in places
28 where it is absolutely necessary (java-config)
29
30 > James,
33 regards | Please file bugreports here:
34 Thilo | http://bugs.gentoo.org