From: James Vandenberg <james@××××××××××××××××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo installed, thoughts
Date: Sun, 12 May 2002 22:50:24
1 This is what Luke at Mon, May 13, 2002 at 11:53:42AM +1000 wrote:
2 > Youve spent a lot of time thinking about the details of your system, without
3 > answering one simple question.
4 >
5 > Why is this needed?
6
7 For one very simple reason. It makes life easier for system administrators,
8 users, and maintainers.
9
10 An example is with Inetd/Xinetd. These two programs have the same function, but
11 wildly different configuration file formats. Now how should the telnet daemon
12 be installed? Should it give an example of how it should be installed in inetd
13 syntax, or xinetd syntax? So if it tells me how to install telnet into inetd,
14 but I'm running xinetd, it doesn't help me as much as if it were in xinetd
15 syntax.
16
17 James,
18 --
19 James Vandenberg Email: james at vandenberg.dropbear.id.au
20 GPG FP= 65AB 179A D884 EDC6 216D FE6A 6833 02BC 4425 4F70
21 Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur. ICQ: 151135390