From: Mario Fetka <mario.fetka@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] package graveyard
Date: Wed, 17 Aug 2011 17:05:50
1 how about adding a new tag metadata,xml so that it is not imported
2 into the rsync tree
3
4 Mario
5
6 2011/8/17 Alex Alexander <wired@g.o>:
7 > On Wed, Aug 17, 2011 at 19:45, Thomas Kahle <tomka@g.o> wrote:
8 >> Hi,
9 >>
10 >> I'm forking from a thread on gentoo-project:
11 >>
12 >> On 17:26 Wed 17 Aug 2011, Markos Chandras wrote:
13 >>> Personally, I want to shrink portage. There is no way for 250 listed
14 >>> developers ( I would be glad if 100 of us were really active ) to
15 >>> maintain thousands of ebuilds.
16 >> [...]
17 >>> We need to support only the packages that we can *really* support and
18 >>> lets hope that more people will join in when they see their packages
19 >>> going away.
20 >>
21 >> I like the idea of shrinking portage, but here's a scenario I'd like to
22 >> avoid:
23 >>
24 >> 1) package A is unmainted, but has a sophistacted ebuild that evolved
25 >>  over some time.
26 >>
27 >> 2) A has an open bug that nobody cares to fix, treecleaners come around
28 >> and remove A.
29 >>
30 >> 3) New dev X joines Gentoo and cares for A and startes to rewrite the
31 >> ebuild from scratch.
32 >>
33 >> Is there a way for X to easily query the portage history and dig up the
34 >> ebuild that was there at some point.  She could then use the old ebuild
35 >> for their new version, but without efficient search she would probably
36 >> start from scratch.  Some packages are treecleaned in the state 'working
37 >> but with a single bug (and nobody cares)', it would be good if that
38 >> state is somehow retained after the removal.  Then you can get a fully
39 >> working package while fixing only one bug.
40 >>
41 >> Searching through mailing list archives with automatted removal mails
42 >> would be my hack, what would be yours?
43 >>
44 >> Cheers,
45 >> Thomas
46 >
47 > We could try removing all keywords and masking ebuilds that are
48 > abandoned with bugs but upstream is still active, instead of removing
49 > them completely. That way the ebuild will be there when/if someone
50 > else decides to take care of the package and it will even show in
51 > tools like eix.
52 >
53 > --
54 > Alex Alexander | wired