From: Edward Catmur <ed@×××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Alternative Gentoo package managers discussion request (for the council)
Date: Thu, 18 May 2006 16:32:17
1 On Thu, 2006-05-18 at 16:37 +0200, Paul de Vrieze wrote:
2 > On Thursday 18 May 2006 16:03, Stephen Bennett wrote:
3 > > On Thu, 18 May 2006 15:34:28 +0200
4 > >
5 > > Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o> wrote:
6 > > > Requiring duplication of profiles for every package manager.
7 > >
8 > > It requires duplicating nothing. This is exactly why we have cascading
9 > > profiles.
10 >
11 > Cascading profiles form a tree with N nodes. Some of these nodes are
12 > abstract in the sense that they are not directly usable. Say that leaves
13 > M possible profiles. To have paludis be on par with portage, each of
14 > these M profiles would have a leaf added for paludis. The same holds for
15 > pkgcore and for any other package manager. This would mean that we have
16 > N+2M profiles. With a paludis and pkgcore toplevel profile this would
17 > even be worse and amount to approximately 3N profiles.
18 >
19 > In the leaf version, all M paludis specific profiles are equal.
20
21 But Paludis supports multiple inheritance. Would it be feasible to have
22 Paludis users create /etc/make.profile as a directory,
23 with /etc/make.profile/parent inheriting from both their chosen
24 gentoo-x86 profile and a profile in the paludis tree?
25
26 (I guess this looks like offering a technical solution to a political
27 problem... sorry about that.)
28
29 Ed
32 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list