From: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Alternative Gentoo package managers discussion request (for the council)
Date: Thu, 18 May 2006 14:43:09
1 On Thursday 18 May 2006 16:03, Stephen Bennett wrote:
2 > On Thu, 18 May 2006 15:34:28 +0200
3 >
4 > Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o> wrote:
5 > > Requiring duplication of profiles for every package manager.
6 >
7 > It requires duplicating nothing. This is exactly why we have cascading
8 > profiles.
9
10 Cascading profiles form a tree with N nodes. Some of these nodes are
11 abstract in the sense that they are not directly usable. Say that leaves
12 M possible profiles. To have paludis be on par with portage, each of
13 these M profiles would have a leaf added for paludis. The same holds for
14 pkgcore and for any other package manager. This would mean that we have
15 N+2M profiles. With a paludis and pkgcore toplevel profile this would
16 even be worse and amount to approximately 3N profiles.
17
18 In the leaf version, all M paludis specific profiles are equal.
19
20 Paul
23 Paul de Vrieze
24 Gentoo Developer