From: Stephen Bennett <spb@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Alternative Gentoo package managers discussion request (for the council)
Date: Thu, 18 May 2006 14:03:11
1 On Thu, 18 May 2006 15:34:28 +0200
2 Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o> wrote:
3
4 > Requiring duplication of profiles for every package manager.
5
6 It requires duplicating nothing. This is exactly why we have cascading
7 profiles.
8
9 > Profiles determine what defaults are, and on some level what is
10 > installed. What useflags are supported, and some other things.
11 >
12 > Profiles do not determine how something is installed. A package
13 > manager determines how things are installed. As such any profile
14 > should work with the package manager.
15
16 And any profile does work with the package manager. What I want to
17 change in the profile is exactly what is installed by default, which is
18 as you say precisely what profiles are for.
19 --
20 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list