From: Joshua Nichols <nichoj@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Troubleshooters for Gentoo
Date: Fri, 13 Oct 2006 13:36:36
1 Maurice van der Pot wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > I've noticed in the past that a lot of people come to irc with problems
5 > in some area (say networking) that are easy to solve just by first
6 > asking a number of questions to identify the problem and then providing
7 > the solution.
8 >
9 > I've always liked the way Microsoft put these troubleshooters in their
10 > help files. While the content of Microsoft's troubleshooters probably
11 > never really helped anyone, the format of a troubleshooter is in my
12 > opinion one of the best ways to help people solve their own problems.
13 >
14 > Now I've hacked up a program that can create a troubleshooter from
15 > specifications of questions and problems and their dependencies, but I'd
16 > need to have some decent content to really make it useful for other
17 > people.
18 >
19 > I think having a couple of Gentoo-specific troubleshooters would be a
20 > great resource for new users (not just new to Gentoo, but new to Linux).
21 >
22 > I have a couple of questions:
23 >
24 > 1) Does this sound like a good idea?
25 >
26 > 2) Does anyone feel like pouring his/her troubleshooting skills into
27 > content for my program?
28 >
29 > The program is still very immature (I skipped a lot of things that
30 > weren't absolutely necessary for the program to show what it can do),
31 > but that'll be fixed.
32 >
33 > When given proper input, it generates HTML files that you can click
34 > through and that will hopefully lead you to (a solution to) your problem.
35 > It has some sample content to show the format.
36 >
37 > Maurice.
40 > http://griffon26.kfk4ever.com/~griffon26/troubleshooter-0.0.2.tar.bz2
41 > 43f0042c802ad5ddcdf2a4db671c41c8 *troubleshooter-0.0.2.tar.bz2
44 If I'm not mistaken, the kbase project was established to help with this
45 type of information:
46
47 http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/kbase/
50 Joshua Nichols