From: Mark Gordon <spamtrap@×××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-dev] Re: Directions please
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2002 18:43:10
1 On 18 Sep 2002 15:20:34 -0400
2 Grant Goodyear <g2boojum@g.o> wrote:
3
4 <snip>
5
6 > > Also the 2940 is running version 1.23 of the bios (latest one
7 > > available)... in theory it is suppose to support bootable CD's
8 > > but it doesn't seem to work with this oh and btw I used the
9 > > livecd-ut2003-x86-1.4_rc1.iso version.
10 > >
11 > > The CD works fine when I use it on a machine with an IDE CD ... it's
12 > > just that SCSI CD on my home machine that is the problem. And it is
13 > > strange that when the system is booting up it notices that it has a
14 > > bootable CD and reports it during the adaptec device check. But no
15 > > clue why it decides to ignore it and just jumps to the hard drive
16 > > with my operating system. For an experiment to see if I could force
17 > > it to boot from the SCSI cd I disconnected the harddrive so it
18 > > wouldn't have another device to boot from ... but that failed as it
19 > > refused to boot from anything.
20 >
21 > Can you boot other cd's using this drive? The earlier livecd had a
22
23 <snip>
24
25 My bet is that he can't.
26
27 As well as the SCSI BIOS detecting that the CD is bootable you also have
28 to set the main BIOS of the motherboard to boot from SCSI (not CD)
29 before the HD.
30 --
31 Mark Gordon