From: Grant Goodyear <g2boojum@g.o>
To: ifurita@×××××.net
Cc: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Directions please
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2002 14:20:35
1 I'm forwarding this message to the mailing list since the devs need to
2 know about bootdisk failures.
3
4 > In answer to your other questions my SCSI controller is an adaptec 2940.
5 > The driver for os/2 and stuff is something like aic7870.add ... It's
6 > pretty common and I thought the gentoo disk had support for the 2940
7 > but I don't know for sure.
8 >
9 > Also the 2940 is running version 1.23 of the bios (latest one
10 > available)... in theory it is suppose to support bootable CD's
11 > but it doesn't seem to work with this oh and btw I used the
12 > livecd-ut2003-x86-1.4_rc1.iso version.
13 >
14 > The CD works fine when I use it on a machine with an IDE CD ... it's
15 > just that SCSI CD on my home machine that is the problem. And it is
16 > strange that when the system is booting up it notices that it has a
17 > bootable CD and reports it during the adaptec device check. But no
18 > clue why it decides to ignore it and just jumps to the hard drive with
19 > my operating system. For an experiment to see if I could force it to
20 > boot from the SCSI cd I disconnected the harddrive so it wouldn't have
21 > another device to boot from ... but that failed as it refused to boot
22 > from anything.
23
24 Can you boot other cd's using this drive? The earlier livecd had a
25 problem where the kernel was missing the driver for my scsi card, but in
26 that case the system did start booting the kernel, it just failed when
27 the kernel needed to mount /. Failing to boot off of the cd at all
28 suggests that either the bios isn't set properly, or your burned cd
29 might be corrupt.
30
31 > I'm kind of at a loss about where to go from this point. I'm tempted
32 > to create a new partition on my harddisk and just dump the contents
33 > of the CD on to that partition and see if I can boot it but I kind
34 > of doubt that would work.
35
36 No, that wouldn't be the best idea. Can you boot from Tomsrtbt? If so,
37 then after booting into tomsrtbt you can set up the filesystem (creating
38 and turning on swap space as one of your first steps), mount the cd,
39 extract the stage1 tarball onto a ready partition, use ifconfig or dhcp
40 to set up networking, chroot, and you'll be off and running.
41
42 > I did manage to find the forums and even found a thread about using a boot disk
43 > from toms. Unfortunately that just lead to another problem in that the
44 > initrd.img file is too large to work with on a floppy and if I put it on the
45 > harddrive I can't get to it without booting into windows 2000 but the
46 > loadlin.exe apparently refuses to work in a dos window. So I'm again stuck...
47 > can't build a bootdisk from the image.
48
49 Toms has the appropriate scsi support already compiled in (most likely),
50 so you don't need an initrd. In fact, you don't want to build a
51 bootdisk from the image; you just need enough to get you going.
52
53 Hope that helps,
54 g2boojum