From: Paul de Vrieze <pauldv@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Official overlay support
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2006 20:55:30
1 On Thursday 23 March 2006 16:31, Chris Gianelloni wrote:
2 > No.  It isn't.  Look in many developer overlays and you'll see packages
3 > that they have made that work how *they* want them to, even if it is
4 > *very* different from what is in the tree.  This is the case for
5 > packages that are not maintained by them, too.  Any ebuild that is done
6 > by someone that isn't the maintainer is a fork.  There's nothing
7 > "hostile" about it.
8 >
9 Probably this is the reason that my personal overlay is not "public". For
10 example it contains a gtk+ version with the save dialog "fixed".
11
12 > I see no problem with overlays in concept, such as the php overlay that
13 > is very successful.  The main reason that it is successful is because
14 > the same people that maintain php maintain the overlay.  Yes, there are
15 > other contributors, but the maintainers of the overlay are still the
16 > developers.  I see no problem with providing these sorts of overlays to
17 > bridge the gap between contributing users and developers.  I *do* see a
18 > problem with simply allowing random overlays from any developer for
19 > anything.
20
21 On the other hand, my personal overlay contains various fixes to packages I
22 use, but who are from other developers. As I'm not the maintainer I don't
23 always bother to post bugs, and find it wrong to fix it without telling the
24 maintainer. Other ebuilds concern packages that are unmaintained or not
25 stable enough. It also contains my own kde meta packages that select only
26 that part of kde that I want.
27
28 I can only assume that other developers have similar overlays too. These
29 overlays form actually a wealth of resources that are hidden away. If there
30 were a semi-public overlay system in which developers could keep their
31 overlays, this might help in getting this out to the public.
32
33 Paul
36 Paul de Vrieze
37 Gentoo Developer