From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Official overlay support
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2006 15:38:07
1 On Thu, 2006-03-23 at 14:41 +0000, Stuart Herbert wrote:
2 > Hi Chris,
3 >
4 > On 3/23/06, Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o> wrote:
5 > > If some random developer goes out there and creates his own fork of
6 > > catalyst in his overlay, I sure don't want to receive a *single* bug on
7 > > it. Ever.
8 >
9 > Your nightmare scenario seems unavoidable. Enabling per-overlay bug
10 > tracking doesn't stop users posting bugs in bugzilla. It just causes
11 > confusion for users, because they're not sure where to go. Normally,
12 > it's not a problem - because the overlay contributors are normally the
13 > owners of the real package.
14
15 No, it does not stop them, but it sure will curb the number of users
16 posting their bugs to the wrong place. Remember that only more advanced
17 users are the ones using overlays. We won't have Joe Sixpack using an
18 overlay. Instead it'll be Bob Developer-to-be.
19
20 How is that confusing? I went to http://overlays.gentoo.org/catalyst-ng
21 and saw the overlay. I also saw the link the the bug tracker.
22
23 > A hostile fork of Catalyst is very much a special case.
24
25 No. It isn't. Look in many developer overlays and you'll see packages
26 that they have made that work how *they* want them to, even if it is
27 *very* different from what is in the tree. This is the case for
28 packages that are not maintained by them, too. Any ebuild that is done
29 by someone that isn't the maintainer is a fork. There's nothing
30 "hostile" about it.
31
32 > What we could do is say that overlays are for package trees only; ie
33 > they are not general-purpose repositories for holding source trees.
34 > That would ensure that your nightmare scenario is even less likely to
35 > happen, and that if it does, it's through no fault of the overlays
36 > project :)
37
38 It has nothing to do with a source tree. I could store the source tree,
39 and tarball, anywhere. The ebuilds to use these tarballs would be just
40 as dangerous.
41
42 I see no problem with overlays in concept, such as the php overlay that
43 is very successful. The main reason that it is successful is because
44 the same people that maintain php maintain the overlay. Yes, there are
45 other contributors, but the maintainers of the overlay are still the
46 developers. I see no problem with providing these sorts of overlays to
47 bridge the gap between contributing users and developers. I *do* see a
48 problem with simply allowing random overlays from any developer for
49 anything.
52 Chris Gianelloni
53 Release Engineering - Strategic Lead
54 x86 Architecture Team