From: Stuart Herbert <stuart.herbert@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Official overlay support
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2006 14:43:36
1 Hi Chris,
2
3 On 3/23/06, Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o> wrote:
4 > If some random developer goes out there and creates his own fork of
5 > catalyst in his overlay, I sure don't want to receive a *single* bug on
6 > it. Ever.
7
8 Your nightmare scenario seems unavoidable. Enabling per-overlay bug
9 tracking doesn't stop users posting bugs in bugzilla. It just causes
10 confusion for users, because they're not sure where to go. Normally,
11 it's not a problem - because the overlay contributors are normally the
12 owners of the real package.
13
14 A hostile fork of Catalyst is very much a special case.
15
16 What we could do is say that overlays are for package trees only; ie
17 they are not general-purpose repositories for holding source trees.
18 That would ensure that your nightmare scenario is even less likely to
19 happen, and that if it does, it's through no fault of the overlays
20 project :)
21
22 Best regards,
23 Stu