From: Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: [gentoo-core] crap use flags in the profiles
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2005 15:39:15
1 On Tue, 2005-08-30 at 17:01 +0200, Francesco R wrote:
2 > > Is this also a good time to note that the amd64 and x86 could
3 > > *easily* be covered under the same keyword? We cover a large
4 > > variety of mips machines/userlands under one keyword, with
5 > > differences much more significant then that between x86 and amd64.
6 >
7 > Sorry I disagree with this, differences exists and sometimes are a
8 > problem. Some package and library don't compile cleanly under amd64 arch.
9 > On few but existant cases it's good to have two different archs. Not
10 > even going near the analizing the differences in the profiles.
11
12 Actually, they're correct. Both amd64 and x86 could be controlled by
13 the same keyword. The problem really lies in the knowledge base of our
14 developers. I'm not knocking anyone, but if you haven't run on a 64-bit
15 architecture, then you wouldn't understand how to troubleshoot and fix
16 issues with it.
19 Chris Gianelloni
21 Games - Developer
22 Gentoo Linux