From: James Vandenberg <james@××××××××××××××××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo installed, thoughts
Date: Mon, 13 May 2002 03:25:45
1 This is what Luke at Mon, May 13, 2002 at 05:58:51PM +1000 wrote:
2 > > > > An example is with Inetd/Xinetd. These two programs have the same
3 > > > > function, but wildly different configuration file formats. Now how
4 > > > > should the telnet daemon be installed? Should it give an example of how
5 > > > > it should be installed in inetd syntax, or xinetd syntax? So if it
6 > > > > tells me how to install telnet into inetd, but I'm running xinetd, it
7 > > > > doesn't help me as much as if it were in xinetd syntax.
8 > > >
9 > > > Learn one. Use it. Go on with your life.
10 > >
11 > > Which one?
12 >
13 > I dont bloody know! Whatever you think is good! I dont know which is better
14 > out of mplayer or xine... I just chose one. If it didnt do what I wanted, Id
15 > try the other.
16
17 And if the other was worse, I'd flip back. On a whim.
18
19 > > What if I want to use one that the maintainer of a package hates?
20 >
21 > The maintainer of the ebuild? Who cares what they think???
22
23 If they depend on the other choice, I care.
24
25 > I just think that wanting to write
26
27 I program for relaxation. Do you have a problem with that?
28
29 > (or more likely, wanting someone else to
30 > write)
31
32 I'll write it. It's just my time is a little pressured right now. It may take
33 longer than expected.
34
35 > a big complex tool just so you can swap back and forth between inetd
36 > and xinetd on a whim, is a little bit silly.
37
38 Being able to choose out of a set of alternatives, and change that choice
39 whenever I want, is silly?
40 --
41 James Vandenberg Email: james at vandenberg.dropbear.id.au
42 GPG FP= 65AB 179A D884 EDC6 216D FE6A 6833 02BC 4425 4F70
43 Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum viditur. ICQ: 151135390