From: Luke <spooq@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Gentoo installed, thoughts
Date: Mon, 13 May 2002 02:58:27
1 On Mon, 13 May 2002 17:46, James Vandenberg wrote:
2 > This is what Luke at Mon, May 13, 2002 at 02:30:21PM +1000 wrote:
3 > > On Mon, 13 May 2002 13:50, James Vandenberg wrote:
4 > > > This is what Luke at Mon, May 13, 2002 at 11:53:42AM +1000 wrote:
5 > > > > Youve spent a lot of time thinking about the details of your system,
6 > > > > without answering one simple question.
7 > > > >
8 > > > > Why is this needed?
9 > > >
10 > > > For one very simple reason. It makes life easier for system
11 > > > administrators, users, and maintainers.
12 > >
13 > > No, it wont.
14 >
15 > <Pantomime>
16 > Oh, yes it will!
17 > </Pantomime>
18
19 Hehe... it wont tho... its just another thing to learn, with all its own bugs
20 and idiosyncracies.
21
22 > > > An example is with Inetd/Xinetd. These two programs have the same
23 > > > function, but wildly different configuration file formats. Now how
24 > > > should the telnet daemon be installed? Should it give an example of how
25 > > > it should be installed in inetd syntax, or xinetd syntax? So if it
26 > > > tells me how to install telnet into inetd, but I'm running xinetd, it
27 > > > doesn't help me as much as if it were in xinetd syntax.
28 > >
29 > > Learn one. Use it. Go on with your life.
30 >
31 > Which one?
32
33 I dont bloody know! Whatever you think is good! I dont know which is better
34 out of mplayer or xine... I just chose one. If it didnt do what I wanted, Id
35 try the other.
36
37 > What if I want to use one that the maintainer of a package hates?
38
39 The maintainer of the ebuild? Who cares what they think???
40
41 I just think that wanting to write (or more likely, wanting someone else to
42 write) a big complex tool just so you can swap back and forth between inetd
43 and xinetd on a whim, is a little bit silly.
46 Luke