From: Ciaran McCreesh <ciaran.mccreesh@×××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [GLEP] Use EAPI-suffixed ebuilds (.ebuild-EAPI)
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2007 00:43:07
1 On Mon, 17 Dec 2007 17:30:50 -0700
2 Joe Peterson <lavajoe@g.o> wrote:
3 > Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
4 > >> I imagine a lot of people do things now like 'find . -name
5 > >> "*.ebuild" | xargs grep ...'. Not that they could not change
6 > >> their habbits, but forgetting to add a more complex matching rule
7 > >> could lead to errors here.
8 > >
9 > > -name '*.ebuild*' isn't exactly much more complex...
10 >
11 > No, but to be more "correct" it shouldn't be that open-ended. For
12 > example, it really should be a regexp that only allows a dash followed
13 > by digits (and then nothing after). Not hard, but if forgotten, it
14 > could yield misleading results. Perhaps it's more the "feel" of it
15 > that bothers me, and once this path is taken, there is no going back.
16
17 An EAPI is not limited to a numeric name. We could call the next EAPI
18 "cabbage" if we wanted to. There're already various experimental EAPIs
19 that don't use pure numbers (for example, "paludis-1").
20
21 (Sometimes I think the next EAPI *should* be called "cabbage", if only
22 because it'll help disabuse people of the notion that EAPIs are
23 orderable...)
26 Ciaran McCreesh