From: Fabian Groffen <grobian@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] [GLEP] Use EAPI-suffixed ebuilds (.ebuild-EAPI)
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2007 09:39:15
1 On 18-12-2007 00:39:38 +0000, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > An EAPI is not limited to a numeric name. We could call the next EAPI
3 > "cabbage" if we wanted to. There're already various experimental EAPIs
4 > that don't use pure numbers (for example, "paludis-1").
5 >
6 > (Sometimes I think the next EAPI *should* be called "cabbage", if only
7 > because it'll help disabuse people of the notion that EAPIs are
8 > orderable...)
9
10 While I feel there has been given little to no attention to what EAPI's
11 really are and how they relate to each other, I prefer to go this route
12 myself as well. The EAPI "name" should represent the feature(s) it
13 adds. However, because "features" need not to include previous ones
14 (why would they?), in the Prefix branch of Portage I implemented EAPI to
15 be a space separated list. I merely did this because EAPI=1 ebuilds
16 needed to be tagged as such in an EAPI="prefix" ebuild, and the features
17 EAPI="prefix" adds are ortogonal on the features EAPI=0 or EAPI=1 ...
18 provides. As a result I now have EAPI="prefix 1" ebuilds.
19
20 Since you seem to argue here that EAPIs are not orderable, I get the
21 impression you imply these "combinations" of EAPIs to be desirable. In
22 that case, what would the extension of the ebuild be like?
26 Fabian Groffen
27 Gentoo on a different level
28 --
29 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list