From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev <gentoo-dev@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Fwd: [gentoo-commits] repo/gentoo:master commit in: app-office/calcurse/
Date: Fri, 13 Mar 2020 15:55:14
1 On Fri, Mar 13, 2020 at 1:29 AM Chí-Thanh Christopher Nguyễn
2 <chithanh@g.o> wrote:
3 >
4 > Alec Warner schrieb:
5 > > On Thu, Mar 12, 2020 at 9:54 AM Andreas K. Huettel <dilfridge@g.o
6 > > <mailto:dilfridge@g.o>> wrote:
7 > >
8 > > Someone needs to grow up here.
11 > > Meh, to me (someone who can't commit to ::gentoo) I have a few concerns here.
12 > > First, I don't see a lot of QA reverts on the gentoo-dev list. Is it common
13 > > practice to post reverts publicly? Second, I'm not aware that we would revert
14 > > for things like this. Most of the items you mention look fairly minor (maybe
15 > > the python comment looks impactful?) Why can't we fix these items in a future
16 > > commit, rather than revert? What did Patrice's commit break?
17 >
18 > If the issues are so serious that we have to prevent any breakage/regressions
19 > from reaching users, I guess an alternative response would have been to
20 > p.mask the offending new ebuild. Unless the commit caused some tree-wide
21 > breakage which I can't see here however.
22
23 Don't really want to comment on where the line should have been drawn
24 on this particular case, but the idea of reverting commits doesn't
25 seem particularly abhorrent, and certainly commits that don't create a
26 new ebuild couldn't be addressed with masking unless we want to impact
27 end users.
28
29 It seems like the drama here is mostly about how this ended up on the
30 lists vs just being a discussion between QA and the committer/etc.
31 Reading between the lines I'm not sure if it was ever intended to be
32 on the list at least initially.
33
34 If this was intended for public consumption it probably wouldn't hurt
35 to note why (hey, we're singling out this commit because it has this
36 error we've been seeing a lot of lately and you can see how this sort
37 of thing could sneak in...). Otherwise it just seems like it causes
38 drama without actually achieving the desired impact.
41 Rich