From: Kevin Chadwick <ma1l1ists@××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: Re: call for testers: udev predictable network interface names
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2013 18:36:22
1 > William is packaging upstream udev for Gentoo.
2 >
3 > You are shooting the messenger.
4
5 I expect there is 0 blame meant for William.
8 P.s.
9
10 Is it William that Lennart dished some blame in the direction of. I
11 completely disagree. It's not the job of every distro to look for all
12 build flags to fix some software's defaults because other software has
13 some small issues. That's simply ludicrous and my best guess is it
14 being a feeble attempt at reasoning an excuse. At the very least and
15 like in many release notes, it should have been made clear that distros
16 may wish to consider using that flag to keep the current behaviour
17 whether any reason to do was understood or not. The thought strikes me
18 now that in the reverse case their likely wouldn't be any justification
19 for having a build flag?
20
21 Debian having to patch KDE to use /etc for configs is simply wrong too.
22
23 You are right though, I don't suppose it helps much airing any of it
24 here.
28
29 'Write programs that do one thing and do it well. Write programs to work
30 together. Write programs to handle text streams, because that is a
31 universal interface'
32
33 (Doug McIlroy)