From: Alec Warner <antarus@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: USE flag documentation
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2008 02:45:05
1 On 1/15/08, Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o> wrote:
2 > On Tue, 2008-01-15 at 17:00 -0600, Ryan Hill wrote:
3 > > My expectation is that `grep "flag" use.local.desc` will give me a
4 > > list of packages using that flag (or having it in the description),
5 > > one per line. Putting paragraphs in there doesn't seem right.
6 >
7 > A single long line still fills this "requirement" for us. However, it
8 > does bring up the point. Why even have use.local.desc (or
9 > metadata.xml's <use> tag) at all? Is there really a need for a *global*
10 > list of flags that are ebuild-specific? (I don't care or have much
11 > opinion, either way, I'm merely presenting some topic for discussion on
12 > this.)
13
14 The global use.* files are convenient because it means we don't need
15 to generate or push a cache for the data (like for metadata). If it
16 was per package or per-ebuild we would need to generate a cache to
17 answer queries like 'what does the "foo" flag do'.
20 > --
21 > Chris Gianelloni
22 > Release Engineering Strategic Lead
23 > Games Developer