From: Donnie Berkholz <dberkholz@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Re: USE flag documentation
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2008 08:40:24
1 On 18:45 Tue 15 Jan , Alec Warner wrote:
2 > On 1/15/08, Chris Gianelloni <wolf31o2@g.o> wrote:
3 > > On Tue, 2008-01-15 at 17:00 -0600, Ryan Hill wrote:
4 > > > My expectation is that `grep "flag" use.local.desc` will give me a
5 > > > list of packages using that flag (or having it in the description),
6 > > > one per line. Putting paragraphs in there doesn't seem right.
7 > >
8 > > A single long line still fills this "requirement" for us. However, it
9 > > does bring up the point. Why even have use.local.desc (or
10 > > metadata.xml's <use> tag) at all? Is there really a need for a *global*
11 > > list of flags that are ebuild-specific? (I don't care or have much
12 > > opinion, either way, I'm merely presenting some topic for discussion on
13 > > this.)
14 >
15 > The global use.* files are convenient because it means we don't need
16 > to generate or push a cache for the data (like for metadata). If it
17 > was per package or per-ebuild we would need to generate a cache to
18 > answer queries like 'what does the "foo" flag do'.
19
20 Since Chris only mentioned use.local.desc, I'm assuming he only meant
21 local flags rather than use.desc also. In that case, asking what the
22 "foo" local flag does doesn't make sense, because it does something
23 different depending on the package you're curious about. Centralizing
24 what feels like inherently local data seems odd to me. USE flag editors
25 would still need to generate a complete list, though, so this would make
26 more work for them.
27
28 Chris, I'm not entirely clear what you meant by your suggestion of also
29 dropping metadata.xml <use>; where would we describe local flags?
30
31 Thanks,
32 Donnie
33 --