From: Jay Maynard <jmaynard@××××××××.cx>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Create my own LiveCD (catalyst does not support this yet)
Date: Tue, 09 Mar 2004 20:39:27
1 On Tue, Mar 09, 2004 at 10:22:45PM +0100, Roel wrote:
2 > I have searched the gentoo forums, the internet, irc channels, ...
3 > But I can't find a way to create my own bootable livecd-iso.
4
5 Which architecture?
6
7 > the CD-ROM should contain these files that are already build here:
8 > -my installscript folder: install/installscript.sh &&
9 > install/OtherScriptFiles
10 > -latest portage snapshot
11 > -customized stage 3 tarbal
12 > -customized distfiles folder
13 > -customized packages folder
14 > Does anybody have an idea how to do this?
15
16 The catalyst doc doesn't quite match the current state of reality. As things
17 currently stand, once you've worked your way through portage snapshot,
18 stage[123], and livecd-stage[12], then you've built the basic LiveCD. The
19 doc calls for a livecd-stage3 and livecd-iso, neither of which exist in the
20 current version of catalyst. Instead, there's a series of <arch>-isogen.sh
21 scripts in /usr/lib/catalyst (as of 1.0.3) that build the actual LiveCD ISO
22 image.
23
24 In order to add your stuff to the LiveCD filesystem that's actually used
25 during the install, you need to get the files into the directory tree rooted
26 at /var/tmp/catalyst/tmp/<rel_type>-<subarch>-<rel_version>/ . (I think. My
27 current efforts have led to not having anything in that tree at the moment.)
28 The various loopback filesystem creation facilities in default-runscript.sh,
29 correcsponding to the different loopback types, start there to create the
30 loopback image, and so that's where you'd put your stuff. The mildly tricky
31 part is that the loopback filesystem is created as the last thing
32 livecd-stage2 does, so the rest of that process (mainly building the kernel
33 booted by the LiveCD itself and the busybox toolkit used during install) may
34 overwrite what you put there if you put it there after livecd-stage1. You
35 can avoid this by creating a new directory and putting your stuff there.
36
37 This will require some hacking, as I haven't tried any of this, but that's
38 the approach I'd take.
41 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list