From: Chris Bainbridge <chris.bainbridge@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Last rites for dev-util/cccc
Date: Tue, 18 Apr 2006 13:13:36
1 On 18/04/06, foser <foser@g.o> wrote:
2 > On Sun, 2006-04-16 at 16:42 -0400, Mike Frysinger wrote:
3 > > well the logical thing would be to go to bugzilla and search for "cccc" ...
4 > > and guess what ? no more open bug reports
5 >
6 > I already did that when I wrote it, actually there still is an open bug
7 > for it. So I guess you didn't actually go trough these proposed steps
8 > yourself. Anyway, it is completely besides the point, because you or
9 > anyone else won't check a week or a month from now if there's bug filed
10 > against cccc, that is what maintenance is about.
11
12 Are you suggesting that all packages with long standing open bug
13 reports should be removed? There are thousands that fit that
14 description. If not, then what is your definition of "maintained"? It
15 could be argued that since Mike fixed the cccc bug, it is maintained,
16 even though he isn't the maintainer. Likewise, there are hundreds of
17 packages that have a maintainer listed, or are assigned to a herd,
18 where bug reports are essentially ignored. Should those also be
19 removed?
20
21 > > > I mean, you aren't the maintainer. And there is still the outstanding
22 > > > issue that it is unmaintained in Gentoo, are you going to fix that or
23 > > > not ? Otherwise it should be masked and removed.
24 > >
25 > > this is the same argument as already made and rejected ...
26 >
27 > Where was this rejected and by whom ? By you I guess ? That just doesn't
28 > cut it, errors made in the past are no reason to make them again in the
29 > future.
30
31 Did you read the previous discussion link I provided? The argument has
32 been rejected in the past because it would lead to hundreds of
33 otherwise working packages being removed.
34
35 > > feel free to mask
36 > > and remove the hundreds of other packages that have no maintainer
37 >
38 > So now we do have your blessing ? cccc is then up for removal as of this
39 > moment.
40
41 Maybe you aren't a native English speaker; it was clear from Mike's
42 post that he would rather you didn't go ahead with removing hundreds
43 of packages.
46 gentoo-dev@g.o mailing list