From: Wernfried Haas <amne@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Paludis and Profiles
Date: Wed, 17 May 2006 18:26:40
1 On Wed, May 17, 2006 at 06:32:38PM +0100, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
2 > On Wed, 17 May 2006 11:23:19 +0200 Wernfried Haas <amne@g.o>
3 > wrote:
4 > | We really should figure that stuff out before we start integrating an
5 > | externally written package manager we have no influence on whatsoever
6 >
7 > How much influence does your typical Gentoo developer or user have over
8 > the development of Portage? Please consider long-standing feature
9 > requests such as :slot and [use] deps in your answer.
10
11 That's not the point as i wasn't talking about single developers but
12 Gentoo as an organisation. Paludis is not in any way under Gentoo's
13 control. If the paludis devs decide to change the license for paludis
14 1.0 to a commercial one, Gentoo would be unable do anything about it
15 (except fork the last GPLed version). If the paludis devs decide to
16 terminate all ricers with RTFM, Gentoo can't do anything about it. I
17 guess the list could be continued with other examples.
18 I'm not saying the paludis devs may do such a thing, but they could
19 and Gentoo couldn't do anything about it.
20 As long a project is within Gentoo, every developer does at least have
21 some influence, be it by voting the council or whatsoever.
22
23 As for your long standing feature requests, this has nothing to do
24 with the issue, unless you're trying to bash the portage team, which
25 has nothing to do with this thread.
26
27 cheers,
28 Wernfried
31 Wernfried Haas (amne) - amne at gentoo dot org
32 Gentoo Forums: http://forums.gentoo.org
33 IRC: #gentoo-forums on freenode - email: forum-mods at gentoo dot org