From: Christian Birchinger <joker@g.o>
To: gentoo-dev@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-dev] Paludis and Profiles
Date: Wed, 17 May 2006 20:18:47
1 On Wed, May 17, 2006 at 08:11:57PM +0200, Wernfried Haas wrote:
2 > On Wed, May 17, 2006 at 06:32:38PM +0100, Ciaran McCreesh wrote:
3 >
4 > That's not the point as i wasn't talking about single developers but
5 > Gentoo as an organisation. Paludis is not in any way under Gentoo's
6 > control. If the paludis devs decide to change the license for paludis
7 > 1.0 to a commercial one, Gentoo would be unable do anything about it
8 > (except fork the last GPLed version). If the paludis devs decide to
9 > terminate all ricers with RTFM, Gentoo can't do anything about it. I
10 > guess the list could be continued with other examples.
11 > I'm not saying the paludis devs may do such a thing, but they could
12 > and Gentoo couldn't do anything about it.
13 > As long a project is within Gentoo, every developer does at least have
14 > some influence, be it by voting the council or whatsoever.
15 >
16 > As for your long standing feature requests, this has nothing to do
17 > with the issue, unless you're trying to bash the portage team, which
18 > has nothing to do with this thread.
19
20 Then you remove the profile just like you would remove any piece
21 of software where the license is unacceptable.
22
23 The arguments are getting more and more "creative". It's almost
24 like asking what we will do when gcc turns into a commercial
25 product.
26 Please try to stay realistic and don't invent strange new
27 theoretical problems.
28
29 Christian
30 --